Sunday, September 27, 2015

I do not remember, I do not forget.

I do not remember the promises you made
Or the three carat engagement ring you spent your twelve years' savings on
I do not remember the wedding wows or
the honeymoon sunset cruise
I do not remember our first house with the patio
the breathtaking view of the lake or the boat you got me for my birthday
I do not remember the model of our convertible or the James Beard dinner on our fifth anniversary
I do not remember the orchids you flew in from Venice
or that one time when we spontaneously hopped on a private jet to the islands.
But...
I do not forget that when the pasta I made had no salt
you ate with a smile and licked the bowl clean
I do not forget that when I twisted my ankle walking in stilettos
you promptly sat down on the floor
in your Tux and rubbed it till it hurt no more
I do not forget when I had four AM flights, you stayed up those nights
just to hold me one more time
just to smile me goodbyes
I do not forget when I kept rubbing my eyes that November
you tied up my fingers, we laughed till forever.
I do not forget when I saw my first gray hair
such a hue and cry I raised
and you shared in my mock despair
I do not forget when it was cold, when it was snowing
you agreed in my delusion that my summer plants were growing
I do not forget when they came down and took me
when they said in this cell there was a strict no visitors policy
you still came everyday and stood by the tall iron gates
I do not forget how you always stayed.
I do not forget how you always stayed.

No comments: