Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Saudade - the malady of missingness

Missing you is a malady. An aberration of the heart that helps with nothing and interferes with everything. We talk all day. And you don't leave me alone in my dreams either. I don't understand how I could still miss you.
But I missed you that night when I lay in bed with you. My head on your shoulder, your fingers in my hair. The silence filling the room, every breath in sync. That night I missed your voice.

I like waking up next to you on a holiday. Not having to rush anywhere, staying in bed, doing nothing. But I missed you that morning when I woke up. We talked for hours. Cracked silly jokes, laughed till our jaws heart. We were so loud that morning. That morning I missed hearing you breathe.

Remember the nights of relentless love making? Our burning hot bodies so close, it was hard to tell one from another. Those nights I missed the spaces between us.

I like how you would kiss me goodbye every time you had to travel for work. How my eyes would well up despite knowing you will be back the next day. How you would call me at every opportunity with an excuse just to hear my voice. Those nights I missed you. I missed your touch.

I hate going to the movies with you. I hate that we sit so close to each other for three hours and can't speak a word. I hate that there's so much that happens on screen I want to share an opinion about right then but I can't. I hate that you can't show me another way of looking at it while we are right there. All those evenings, I miss our conversations. 

No comments: