Monday, April 13, 2015

Why I Can't Wish 'Mother's Day' To My Mom This Year

Firstly, thanks Womanatics for making a blog post out of this. I wouldn't have thought of converting my facebook status into a blog post. Here's the link -

http://www.womanatics.com/2014/05/true-story-why-i-cant-wish-mothers-day.html

Every Mother's Day I put up a status just like you all saying just how lucky and fortunate I am to have mom in my life, how she is the single best thing that ever happened to me and how I want to make her feel so very special today. Every year, just like a million other lucky sons and daughters, I wait eagerly for this second Sunday of May. This year, however, I have been dreading this day. A part of me is secretly wishing, mummy doesn't login to Facebook at all today. That somehow in her Sunday chores, the day just whizzes by and she fails to notice. Alas! That won't happen. Thanks to our invasive media, social and otherwise, the countless advertisements would take care that nobody, absolutely nobody gets past today without noticing it's Mother's Day. And yet again with some teeny weeny hope, I pray, she fails to notice. For this Mother's Day is my mother's first without her mom. And no matter how much love her kids, her husband, her dad and her brothers shower upon her, it will never add up to what she misses - today and everyday! 

A mom's love can never be replaced and the emptiness it leaves in your heart when she leaves is there to stay. I can hardly imagine what its like to wake up one day and know your mom is gone. Forever. I know it's the eternal truth but I don't want to imagine. And I hate to say it to you all, but this truth of life is universal. My truth here is no different from yours. And though Mother's Day definitely isn't the day to prepare yourself to brace this, but it certainly is the da to hug her just a little tighter, smile for her just a little brighter and say those three words rarely said to a mom anymore these days - 'I love you mom'. I love you very very much, mummy. 

And this is what I want to say to you -- all these years you have been a hell of a mom to me, but it's my turn now. I know I can never match up to Dida (grandma), but I try everyday. Everyday, I wake up and I try to be your mom. And though I will never quite get there, I hope it's making a difference. 

I am not scared anymore that you may wake up and notice it's Mother's Day. Infact, I hope now you wake up and login to Facebook first. I know tears will roll down your cheeks as you read this message, but I also know they will land on a beautiful smile - Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: