Wednesday, July 30, 2014

I'm the woman who lets him sleep


"Honey" - he says, "Can I have some tea? It's the perfect morning for a bed tea" 
So, I get out of my warm blanket on a cold winter morning and romance my teapot. 
It's shrieking whistles quite matching my own.But I don't whistle.
I'm the woman who lets him sleep 

"Honey" - he says, "Can you pick up the kids? I have to meet a client after work for drinks"
So, I leave my list incomplete and rush out of the supermarket to pick those kids. I rush the car like a maniac. It's burning engine quite like my beating heart. But I don't let it beat.
I'm the woman who lets him sleep.

"Honey" - he says. "Can you come to bed and hold me please? It's been a long day"
So, I leave the dishes half undone and climb in bed, eager to please.
As we move, the bed creaks quite like the aches of my worn out body.
But I don't let it ache.
I'm the woman who lets him sleep.

"Honey" - he says. "I'm not coming home tonight."
So, I stay up all night counting minutes, pretending to believe every word he says.
I carelessly drop a glass on the floor. It's scattered pieces resembling my crushed soul.
But I pick up the pieces and don't let it show.
I'm the woman who lets him sleep.

With another woman, who unlike me, is not wearing her heart on her sleeve.

No comments: